Tuesday 5 March 2013

Money Smart Nail Art: Dotted V-Gap Tutorial

Purchased by Me

Afternoon Everyone!

I have a ton of swatches to share with you, so will have more of those coming up soon but I wanted to share some Money Smart Nail Art! I heard about this nail art contest where you had to come up with a money smart look so you can feel good with a do it yourself manicure instead of going out and spending lots of money on new clothes or a hairstyle or even paying someone else to do your nails! I'm a broke student so I'm all about coming up with looks on a budget so I jumped at the chance!

I decided to create a dotted v-gap look that looks a lot more complicated than it is. Let's run through how to do this!

Supplies:

  • 2 polishes of your choice (I have used NYC Lexington Yellow and Wet n Wild I Need a Refresh-Mint)
  • Any colour striping tape or regular tape cut into small strips
  • A small dotting tool or a pen or a pin stuck into an eraser
Steps:

dotted v gap tutorial

Instructions:

  1. Gather your supplies and choose your two colours. (I accidentally grabbed Sally Hansen Blue Me Away instead of Wet n Wild I Need a Refresh-Mint for this picture)
  2. Paint a few coats of your base colour and allow to dry completely, I used a coat of Seche Vite to speed up the drying process
  3. Take your tape and cut pieces and line them up with the middle of your nail
  4. Take your contrasting colour and paint starting from the outside swooping up to create that curved line 
  5. Remove the tape and clean up any excess polish you may have on your skin 
  6. With your dotting tool and your first polish make dots along the curved line
  7. With your other polish place dots on the inside and going up your nail
  8. Clean up and add your favourite quick dry topcoat!

dotted v gap nails
dotted v gap nails
The polishes I used can be easily found at your local drugstore for a few dollars a piece and if you don't have dotting tools or striping tape it is easy to use regular tape and a pin stuck into an eraser! You could do this look in endless colour combinations :)

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and let me know if you have any questions or what you think! If you'd like to enter into the contest here are all the details.

Hope you're having a great day!

6 comments:

  1. I've never seen anything like this before. This is very creative. I love the color combination too. I'll have to try this out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Samantha! I'd love to see it :)

      Delete
  2. This is really gorgeous, and I'm excited to try it out myself. :) Already picturing the color combos!

    ReplyDelete

I abolutely love getting comments and truly appreciate and read everything you have to say! Every comment completely makes my day! That being said please be respectful and don’t leave any spam :)

If you have a blog you'd like me to check out email me at stephanie@sincerelystephanienails.com :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...